15 April 2010

Reaction to GCN Residential Course

A schola director has posted this on his blog:

"I spent the weekend on a superb and paradigm-shattering chant course taught by Nick Gale, music director at St George's Cathedral, Southwark. Note to Schola members: The bad news is that almost everything I have taught you about Gregorian chant in the last year is wrong. The good news is that my eyes (& ears) have been opened to a different way of thinking about chant that will be more organic, more intuitive, easier to pick up & ultimately both more musical & better suited to the texts being sung.

Trust me, this works!"

These weekend courses are a really unique opportunity, since it is possible to do so much more over a weekend than in a single day. We had excellent numbers at the course last weekend, but for those who didn't make it, don't let the next one pass you by!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I remember the man from Orkney. It was my first experience of the Chant and of the EF Mass and eye-opening on both accounts.

    I have now got the Gregorian bug and plan to be at the day course at the Temple church in London at the end of May. I even fancy a trip to Portsmouth ....

    Andrew
    witcombesmall@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete